Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Being a Mother....


...means that you have to do the hard things. It wasn't hard for me to make the decision to defend my girl. (When y'all get to know me you will understand that I refer to my oldest as 'my girl', because she is very much like her mama. I also refer to her as Miss America 'cause she thinks she is so fly...she is.) Anyway, she gets into the car after school today and usually she says I had a great day. She is at a new school and I have heard only good things about this school. She is really enjoying it, but today she told me she cried in 5th period. HUH? Say What? She told me that some boys were making some inappropriate comments to her in relation to the color of her skin. Of course being the momma that I am, I was like okay, I bet it won't happen again. She was so upset at me because I made her come clean with the information. She is so much like me in that she doesn't want to rock the boat. However, sometimes you just have to call wrong wrong. As a mother, sometimes the hard thing is trying to convince your child that you are not betraying them but instead parenting them. If they still don't get it....SO! I still have to BE the parent. I am not going to lie, I hated to see her so upset at me for stepping in. I have watched all kinds of madness unfold around her, and watched her learn how to handle it. This time.....this time was enough.

1 comment:

  1. What a shame. Takes the wind right of your sails to have an issue like that waiting for you.

    How did you handle it?

    ReplyDelete